Immigration matters

European students

“European” students are students with a nationality from:

• One of the 28 countries of the EU;
• A country included in the EEA (EU + Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein)
• Switzerland
• Monaco or Andorra

You must apply directly on our website between January 15, 2024 and May 31, 2024.
More information:

Non-european students but living in a european country


You must apply directly on our website between January 15, 2024 and May 31, 2024. If your application is accepted, you will receive an authorization of enrollment. From that point on, you will be able to undertake the procedures with the French Consulate in your country of residence to obtain a student visa.
NB. Even if the « Etudes en France » procedure applies in the country of origin, non-European students residing in Europe do not need to either return to their native country nor to follow this procedure.

More information:

Non-european students but living in a country included in the "Etudes en France" procedure


Check the list on the Campus France website:

2 mandatory steps

1- You must follow the « Etudes en France » procedure until you obtain a student visa.
Create your private electronic file and follow the instructions. If necessary, contact the Campus France platform in your country of residence for more information
Warning : Make sure you select the following program on the Campus France platform: « Master indifférencié (recherche et professionnel) mention Neuroscience Université Paris Cité – UFR des Sciences Fondamentales et Biomédicales – Site de Paris ». If you select another school than Université de Paris, we will not be able to validate your file for you to obtain your visa. It will then be delayed.
Please send an email to as soon as you have submitted your COMPLETE application on Campus France, so that we can validate it.

2- You must concurrently apply on our website between January 15, 2024 and May 31, 2024 or your application will NOT be examined.

More information:

Non-european students but living in a country NOT included in the "Etudes en France" procedure


You must apply directly on our website between January 15, 2024 and May 31, 2024.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an authorization of enrollment. From that point on, you will be able to undertake the procedures with the French Consulate in your country of residence to obtain a student visa.

More information:

NB : As visa matters tend to take a lot of time, we recommend that you apply as early as possible. We are not responsible for the obtaining of your visa, so you must anticipate and respect our batch schedule.


Tuition fees

The tuition fees for European students will be as usual and the exact amount will be announced in July but it is usually around 350€* for the M1 (including the CVEC) and 350€* for the M2 (including the CVEC) .

As far as Non-European students are concerned, undifferentiated tuition fees were voted for them by Université de Paris for the academic year 2024-2025.

Therefore, Non-European students will pay the same tuition fees as European students for the academic year 2024-2025.

NB. Bear in mind that it can change from year to year and differentiated tuition fees can be applied for the year after.

Tuition fees must be paid in person, upon completion of the administrative registration.

* subject to modification


We do not provide housing, therefore you will have to look for an accommodation on your own.

We highly recommend that you look for an accommodation before your arrival, as it can be hard to find a good one in Paris. Most students pay between 400 and 600€ per month for accommodation. We would like to warn you that the rents are high so unless you are lucky to get a room at the CIUP residence, you will most likely get a room for a high price.

Prices depend on the area, for example, districts 5, 6, 16 and 8 are the most expensive ones. Yet you can find cheaper rents in districts 18, 19 and 20 or in the suburbs.

– Be very careful because unfortunately, even in Paris there are frauds. If you rent an apartment before your arrival, never send money to the owner without an official contract.
– Apartment agencies being quite expensive, we would recommend that you try to find on your own first.
– Some dishonest agencies ask you to pay in exchange for a list of apartments. Never pay for a list, you only pay when you have chosen an apartment!

Here are a few websites you can check out:

We highly recommend you to check out the Université Paris Cité website where you can find some more housing tips and contacts to help you finding accomodation: 

Healthcare system

 Students will not pay for the student social security anymore BUT each student MUST report to the social security center closest to their place of residence in order to register for social security.

Whether you are a French or an international student, you can find he procedure on Please follow the instructions and proceed:

Social Security hotline:

  • in English from France: 0 811 36 36 46 – 0.06 € / min + price of call
  • in English from abroad: 0033 811 36 36 46
  • in French from France: 3646 – 0.06 € / min + price of call

Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Social Security provides students with social coverage while studying in France. To increase the amount of their healthcare expenses that is reimbursed, they may take out complementary health insurance, or mutuelle. It is strongly recommended. To get more information:

European students: if you have the « carte européenne d’assurance maladie » (European Health Insurance Card), you will have to make the advance payment of your medical costs which will be (partially or fully) reimbursed afterwards.

Students from Québec: there is a special form (SE-401-Q-106) that also allows you to be reimbursed (partially or fully) afterwards after you make the advance payment of your medical costs.


Each student MUST get the following insurance coverage:

  • French social security, mandatory (cf Healthcare system section)
  • Complementary health insurance (mutuelle), strongly recommended (cf Healthcare system section)
  • Civil liability insurance to cover you from damages caused to others, mandatory

NB. Civil liability insurance covers personal injuries or property damages you may have caused to a third party, voluntarily or involuntarily, during private, curricular or extracurricular activities, on or off campus, in France or abroad.
Please be aware that this type of insurance does not cover any personal injuries or property damages that you may sustain.
Civil liability is usually included in the housing insurance you subscribe to when you rent a room or an apartment. But if you stay at a hotel, share an apartment or stay at a friend’s free of charge, and hence do not have any insurance contract, you must subscribe to an individual civil liability insurance.
For reference, this type of insurance is now offered by most banks, in addition to major insurance companies. We suggest that you inquire at the bank where you opened your bank account in France.
You must verify that your current Civil Liability insurance also covers you during your internship. Contact your insurance provider and explain clearly what you are about to do.

Foreign students must know the following:

  • It is strongly recommended for foreign students to include the repatriation clause in their personal insurance in case you need to be sent back to your country for medical reasons.
  • It will take some time for your registration at social security to proceed. Therefore, it is mandatory that you take an insurance in your home country which will cover you for everything for the first 3 months of your stay in France.

Warning: do not count on your credit card (carte bleue) to cover you for civil liability and complementary health insurance. Moreover, you must be really careful about the cases in which you are covered in general because they are usually very rare.



There are 14 Metro lines and 5 RER lines that enable you to move quickly in Paris or Ile-de-France.

The first Metro services start at around 5:30 am and the last ones finish around 12:30 am on weekdays and 1:45 am on Fridays, Saturdays and evenings of public holidays. Full details available on

Travel passes and fares
– Imagine’R package (student pass 26 years-old and under)
– Forfait Navigo available weekly (€ 30) or monthly (€ 84.10)
– More information including maps and routes on


Velib is a simple and free rental bike system. With over 23,600 bikes covering the city, available 24/7 all year long in 1,800 stations every 300m, Velib is a great alternative way to move around in Paris.
Full details including subscription rates, map of stations, cycling tours are available on


→ Eiffel Scholarship


The Eiffel Scholarship Program is a tool developed by the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs to allow the best international students to benefit from mobility assistance in order to attend master and doctoral degree programs. Submit your application before October 31, 2023.

  • Deadline for submitting applications to Université Paris Cité: From 09/10/2023 to 31/10/2023. This date differs from the deadline on the Campus France website (January 10, 2023) enabling the preparation of selected applications.
  • Reply by Université Paris Cité: 29/11/2023
  • Candidates pre-selected by Université Paris Cité will be contacted by email on Wednesday November 29, 2023. If you are not contacted by this date, this means that Université Paris Cité has not selected your application for the Eiffel scholarship.
  • Results for pre-selected students: first week of April 2024 on the campus France website
Duration of the scholarship

At a master’s level, the scholarship is awarded for a period of :

  • 12 months maximum when enrolling in M2
  • a maximum of 24 months for an M1 registration
Eligibility criteria
  • Nationality: This program is reserved for candidates of foreign nationality. Candidates with dual nationality, one of whom is French, are not eligible;
  • Age: 25 years old (born after March 1998) at most on the date of the selection committee;
  • Origin of applications: only applications submitted by French institutions are admissible. A candidate presented by more than one institution will be rejected;
  • The student must not be living and/or studying in France at the time of application;
  • International students already receiving a French government scholarship, an AUF scholarship or an Erasmus + scholarship from another program at the time of application are not eligible;
  • Students who have already applied for this scholarship without obtaining it cannot reapply even if their application is submitted by a different institution or in a different field of study;

NB. It is only possible to apply once for the same level of study.

How to apply

Step 1

Verify the eligibility requirements by reading the Campus France Application Guide.

Step 2

Select the Neuroscience master’s program offered by Université Paris Cité

Step 3

Prepare your application. The documents must be translated into English or French. Note: One document is required in PDF format. All documents must be sent in a ZIP file entitled “EIFFEL23/24_NOM_Prénom”.

For Master programme, the application file must include:

  • A photocopy of your passport or an identity card
  • Curriculum vitae in French or English (1 to 2 pages)
  • Copy of academic transcripts since you are in Higher Education
  • Academic ranking from previous year (optional, but strongly recommended to demonstrate your excellence). If your university does not systematically issue this document, you should ask the person in charge of your course to deliver a signed attestation mentioning your ranking.
  • Your degrees/diplomas
  • Certificate or diploma of the master’s degree language, if it is not your native language
  • Motivation letter/professional project from the candidate in French or English (1 to 2 pages, explaining the choice of studies in France in relation to previous studies and future professional career.
  • Recommendation letters from academic and professional referees (maximum 3 letters)

Step 4 :

Send your complete application (Master) to: no later than 31/10/2023 11:29 p.m.

Candidates pre-selected by Université Paris Cité will be contacted by email before 01/12/2023. If you are not contacted after this date, it means that Université Paris Cité has not selected your application for the Eiffel scholarship.

Incomplete applications sent after the deadline or do not comply with the procedure will not be considered and applicants will not receive a reply.

→ SMARTS UP Scholarship


The SMARTS-UP Graduate Schools programme, managed by the Université Paris Cité, aims to promote the internationalisation of Master’s programmes and help attract the best international students in order to constitute a pool of excellence for the recruitment of future doctoral students.

In this context, we offer € 10,000 scholarships for the academic year 2024-2025 to allow Graduate Schools taking part in this project to welcome international students in their Masters programmes. The scholarships are awarded for one year.

Submit your application before 5 p.m. (CET) on Friday 19th January !

For more information, please click here: GUIDELINES SMARTS UP SCHOLARSHIP 2024/2025


Candidates can submit their application online between the Wednesday 1st December 2023 and the Friday 19th January 2024 (before 5pm CET).

On the deadline, the platform might be saturated. We advise you not to wait until the last day to submit your application. Besides, please note that:

  • If your application is not submitted, no appeal will be possible;
  • If several applications are submitted, none will be considered;
  • There will be no personalised feedback on applications.

Caution !

Please note that most non-European students living outside the EU are required to register on the Études en France platform also. This is a completely independent but necessary procedure to obtain a visa allowing to study in France. 

Duration of the scholarship

The SMARTS-UP scholarship is a masters-level scholarship only. It cannot be accumulated with any other scholarship.

It is awarded for one year and can not be extended.

Eligibility criteria
  • Applicants must be international students, French citizens are not eligible (including binational or multinational students with a French citizenship).
  • Applicants must be new to the French higher education system (exception : international students preparing a joint-degree in collaboration with Université de Paris are eligible).
  • Applicants should not hold any degree from a French University or Institution.
  • Applicants from one the countries listed below have to also register via the Etudes en France platform ( This application must be completed in paralleled of the submission of your SMARTS-UP application. It is a completely independent but mandatory procedure.
How to apply

The call will be opened from the 1st of December 2023 until the 19th of January 2023, 5pm (CET)

Warning: Laureates will have to acknowledge acceptance of the scholarship within 2 weeks after receiving the confirmation email. In the absence of a timely confirmation, the scholarship will be awarded to the next candidate on the waiting list.

To apply, please click here:

You also MUST submit your application via the Neuroscience master’s programs’ Online Application Form for your application to be examined.